Hiking With My Hero

Perfect weather seems to have finally arrived.
Yesterday it was about 85 degrees with a cloudless sky, perfect for a hike in the hills.
Since my hiking partner was busy I was happy go alone with my ipod and finish listening to the last chapter and epilogue of "Churchill" by Paul Johnson.
I am fascinated by Winston Churchill and all that he accomplished. Fifty-five years in the House of Commons, 9 years as Prime Minister, Chancellor of the Exchequer, soldier, war correspondent, polo player, orator, painter, historian, whiskey drinker, savior of the Western World.
Seriously, is there anything this man couldn't do?

I stopped a few times to look at the wild flowers in bloom

Strangely, I only saw one California poppy plant, the flower that California is famous for.

Because it was so clear, the view was outstanding, from Catalina island, to Palos Verdes, to Long Beach, to Saddleback Mountain, to downtown LA. I could even see the snow capped mountains.
Yesterday was literally one of those days where you could have surfed in the morning in Malibu and skied in the afternoon at Mountain High.
Yeah, LA is a pretty amazing place.

This is the nicest time to hike in the hills because soon it will be too hot and dry

and fire weather will be upon us.
Paul Johnson's Churchill, like all of Johnson's books, was excellent and I recommend it to you. Also, if you haven't already read it, I suggest that you read the two volume "The Last Lion" by William Manchester.
And, if you don't have the time or inclination to read the Manchester oeuvre, at least read these famous Churchill quotes because he said so many brilliant things.

"Lady Astor: Winston, if you were my husband I would poison your tea
Churchill: Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."
I have more to write about Churchill, but I'll save that for a future post.